Interesting to me. Perhaps to you.

9.15.2008

Facebook Redesign and Ad Opportunities

Have to agree with the geeks.  There are some of you out there are expressing frustration with the new Facebook design; I'd ask why.  Advertisers should be very happy about the changes.  The prominence of shared items in the feed is especially interesting and the ease of commenting and visibility of comments can help create valuable discussions around promotions, brands and products--at least in some cases. 

It all depends on what people are sharing.  Sharing a TV commercial because it's humorous probably won't have as much value, as sharing something to help you make a purchase decision.  I might love the "Talking Stain" commercial and post it to my profile, but does that really mean that more people are going to go out and buy Tide (it is Tide, right)? Sorry, probably not.  However, if I share that Nokia e71 I think about buying and ask, "anyone have this phone what do you think about it," it could actually lead to sales of the e71 as various people tell me it's the sliced bread.  Find the way to get people to share the later, and you've found the key to social advertising.




No comments: